Sino-Soviet Canteen at Koktokay

The Relics of Empire: Resource Extraction and the Making of Modern Xinjiang

Sino-Soviet Canteen at Koktokay

The former workers’ canteen for the Koktokay nonferrous metal mining operation is located on the north side of the Irtysh River just opposite the famed Number Three Ore Vein (shown in image 15), which was identified by the Soviet Talas-Altay Working Group Team. The canteen was constructed for workers by Soviet planners and was later used by both the Sino-Soviet Nonferrous and Rare Metals Company established in 1950 and the fully Chinese-owned Xinjiang Nonferrous and Rare Metals Company that took its place in 1955. The site was most recently used as a restaurant and, in 2014, Fuyun county established the building as a “key county-level protected historic site” (xianji zhongdian wenwu baohu danwei).