Avalokiteśvara (Chenrezig) banner at Gyantse Monastery

Tibet in the 1930s: Theos Bernard's Legacy at UC Berkeley

Avalokiteśvara (Chenrezig) banner at Gyantse Monastery

This enormous silk appliqué Kigu Banner was traditionally hung for one hour once a year at Gyantse Monastery, a highlight of the Saka Dawa festival. The 100-foot-long banner was displayed against the brick wall surrounding the monastery. Onlookers visible at the top of the wall and standing on the ground below provide a sense of the scale of this hanging. Theos Bernard described the banner in three parts - a panel that should mirror the panel on the right is missing, reputedly taken to England by members of the 1904 Younghusband expedition. The center deity is Avalokiteśvara.